Rising Sun > Procedures > Health Insurance in Japan

Health Insurance in Japan

Social insurance and national health insurance are Japanese main health insurances. Social insurance is called Kenko Hoken, and national health insurance is called Kokumin Kenko Hoken. If you have the insurances, you need to pay only 20 - 30 percent of your total medical costs at any hospitals and doctors in Japan. So, this is the reason to recommend you to fill out the insurances.

If your company has Kenko Hoken, you can have the Kenko Hoken while working at the company. On the other hands, if your purpose is studying or Working holiday in Japan, the time you can have Kokumin Kenko Hoken in Japan generally. In additionally, if you're a student, you can add Medical expenses reimbursement for Exchange Students to your Kokumin Kenko Hoken, the time you can pay only virtually 6 percent of total your costs.

So, please read the details of the above insurances.

Social Insurance (Kenko Hoken)
This insurance is for the people who work at Japanese company and factory and their families.
National Health Insurance (Kokumin Kenko Hoken)
Every foreign national who stay in Japan more than one year have to have the Kokumin Kenko Hoken. So, this insurance is for students and Woking Holiday Visa holder.
Medical expenses reimbursement for Exchange Students
Everybody who has Kokumin Kenko Hoken and the College Student status of residence can apply the Medical expenses reimbursement for Exchange Students.