Rising Sun > Money > Tax > The Tax on our Income in Japan

The Tax on our Income in Japan

There are two kinds of the taxes on some incomes, which are Shotoku zei and Jumin zei. These taxes impose on every individual income for one year from January first, and it doesn't depend on any nationalities.

And Shotoku zei is imposed by Japanese government, but Jumin zei has two kinds, one is called Todofukenmin zei that is imposed by prefecture, and another is Sichosonmin zei imposed by the city where you live in.

The Shotoku zei and Jumin zei are generally paid by your salary automatically, so we don't need to do Kakutei Shinkoku that is one of the reports to tell your total income in a year to a tax office. But if you have other incomes except your salary and/or you have more than two jobs, you have to do Kakutei Shinkoku at the tax office from February 16th to March 15th.

Next, I would like to write Jumin zei. You aren't required to pay Jumin zei your first year in Japan, so from next year, you have an obligation to impose your Jumin zei to your city and prefecture for the income at a year just past. In fact, you pay the tax one year late.

Finally, if you leave from Japan before end of December, you're required to do Kakutei Shinkoku for your Shotoku zei and Jumin zei.